Monday, August 20, 2007

Once Upon a Time There Was an Editor Who Got What She Wished for ... and More

This new job is great!

It is absolutely beyond what I ever imagined doing. When I started in publishing, a books acquisitions editor was the peak of my ambition.

Now I oversee the book acquisitions editor. I am responsible for "content development."

Here's my job description in a nutshell: Dream up ideas and make them so.

Podcasts. Webinars. Magazines. Books. E-newsletters. Video. Games. A medical journal. Software tools. Statistical surveys. Market research. Live events.

My boss, the director of publishing, is the numbers cruncher. I am the idea fairy. We make a great team.

But ... as with every fairy tale, there's a monster on the horizon ...

The job came with one string attached:

Phase out two of the best people in the world. People who used to be my friends.

I had a 10-week plan to ease them out. Silly me.

"You're not fired! You're not fired!" I kept telling them. "Don't go! Be my friend!"

Dreaming up new ideas, dashing my friends' dreams. Crying tears of joy and misery can suck the life out of a person.

Thank god for tango.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything is happening exactly as it's supposed to. I truly believe this and I'm truly happy. Don't worry about it.

C

Anonymous said...

Ditto.

J.

Anonymous said...

Friendships go through rocky periods. Afterwards, they survive or they die. If they survive, they're different...and better for it. If they don't, they ended at the appropriate time.

Don't post.

Just think.

Then decide.