Friday, August 31, 2007

Sidelined

Wednesday, August 29

I can't believe it. Cinderella is going to miss the ball again.

I got shut out of the Memorial Day Festival. Waited too long to register. This time, I took precautions. I registered right after the Memorial Day festival ended.

Clothes are picked out. Eight milongas. Don't think that didn't take some planning.

Haircut: check. Cool shoes: check. Tin of IDanceTango.com mints: check.

Just one thing doesn't check out: the bones of my right foot.

Wednesday night, opening night of prefestival activities, I take both classes. Then comes the milonga.

My right foot is killing me, but it has been giving me grief for months. This is the festival. If I'm going to push it, now's the time. I can pay the piper later.

A nice out-of-towner asks for a dance. The first step we take, something gives way. Every step after crunches and grinds. By the end of the second song, I am lurching.

It is rude to break a tanda. I apologize profusely to my partner. I thank him for the dance. Then I remember "thank you" means "go to hell" in tangospeak, and I apologize profusely again.

I have been nursing this foot since a climbing incident last fall. All I wanted was to get through the year or, barring that, this festival. Then I would go to a doctor.

Best laid plans and all that. My appt is Thursday.

Grrr.

No comments: