Monday, January 22, 2007

Had I But Checked...

Had I but checked, I might have learned that scientists predict the aurora. Tracking the solar wind, don't you know.

So, today I discover that the aurora are scheduled to appear in Alaska for most of the month of January, except for one small window of darkness...

...for the rest of this week.

Instead, I will have the adventure of extreme cold. Tomorrow the high in Fairbanks is predicted to be -5 to -15.

And to think that 10 days ago I was in Orlando, 81 degrees--sitting by the pool with my wool sweater on. 81 degrees is just a touch cool to me. Tomorrow, I will be 95 degrees cooler. Yikes!

Meanwhile have made contact with Michael "tango is life", a Seattle dancer whose website chronicles "the tango journey of a beginner who thinks too much." John Lee tells me that no one knows the history of tango in Seattle, but he puts me in touch with several people who can give me bits and pieces of it. And Bill, a DJ in Portland, promises a lively practica on Sunday--it's lately been drawing around 90 people, he says. Monday, when I return to Denver, it will be a whole new world at the Blue Ice, with Grisha getting his start as a group teacher for the intermediate class. Adventures all around!

But first ... the Chena Hot Springs Resort, an hour outside of Fairbanks, complete with its own greenhouse, which once set the record for greatest differential indoor/outdoor temperature. Sounds like a good place to hang out.

2 comments:

Carleen Brice said...

Look for the lights anyway. You never know....

One Heart Dancing said...

Hi Carleen!

I go to the window every 15 minutes to check for the lights. It's a little wearing. But people in other buildings with no view of the right part of the sky have it worse: One woman takes alternating shifts with her husband--each standing on the tiny airfield runway for 15 minutes at a time, hoping for a show.

I thought I would be disappointed if I didn't see the lights. But this whole trip has been grand, starting with the flight from Denver to Seattle, over the snowy mountains--I saw the remains of at least three and possibly four volcanoes (including one that looks like Mount Saint Helen). Snow defines the details. Shapes and contours you'd otherwise miss pop out in the snow.