Saturday, January 20, 2007

DJ Dave Makes a Convert

DJ Dave says you should never buy tango music from Virgin Records. I tell him I bought a sampler from Twist and Shou...

"Get your money back," he says. He doesn't even ask what I got.

Fat lot he knows. Two to Tango was hard to get used to, but after two months it is growing on me. I am not at home in any of the songs yet, but if I concentrate hard I can work my way into them. What can I expect? This is not my native musical milieu.

So when it comes time to practice, I hesitate. The new CDs will take some getting used to. It's hard enough to feel the music I know. Do I want to start over with somebody new?

Di Sarli. I've heard of him, of course. I'm sure I've heard his stuff in class, but I wouldn't recognize him. DJ Dave sent him home with me. Nina and Grisha and Chaz get giddy when they talk about him. OK, in you go.

Oh.

Oh, yes.

The best wine you have ever tasted, $1200 a bottle, sipped from the glass of a woman in love. The head of a newborn cupped in your palm. The quality of moonlight as it falls on the hands of a waiter serving truffles with eggs at midnight in the courtyard of Le Cygne, Vincennes. The mouth-feel of the names as you same them aloud: Podestá y Di Sarli.

Instruments lust to be played so. My feet move to my shoes.

Tomorrow I will see about getting my money back.

No comments: