Monday, January 1, 2007

The Better Way to Bring in the New Year

They say to be careful about what you’re doing as the year turns over because, whatever it is, you’ll be doing it often throughout the year.

I hope so. I was snuggled into a deep, soft sofa, champagne and shrimp near at hand, my stomach aching from laughter at my new favorite comedian, Eddie Izzard. At the other end of the couch, Melinda roared. The woman has admirable gusto, which gusts more strongly as the evening goes on.

Louie, leaning heavily against me, complained in a snorting way; his partner glared. Yoda refuses to beg; she wills you to give her that last bit of cookie. Melinda calls her the Old Lady; she calls Louie the Lover. She tosses them each a bit of something. They make disgusting pug noises as they snort it down.

What about All Night New Year's Eve milonga and the midnight kiss that I had fretted over for two days?

Hard to kiss at midnight when the milonga doesn’t start until 1:30 a.m. (Should have checked into that sooner.) No problem. New Year’s Eve comes around every year, and it always ends at midnight. Patience is a virtue.

At 12:03 Melinda and I notice the time, toast to girlfriends. By 1:37, Melinda is snoring. I send her off to bed, find my way to the guest room. As the All Night New Year’s Eve extravaganza begins, I drift off to the snoring and snorting of these three friends.

What is the better way to bring in the New Year—with friends or a kiss? There’s more to life than tango.

1 comment:

Carleen Brice said...

Welcome to the bloggosphere! Your NY Eve sounds better than mine: eating popcorn and trying to figure out why what looked to be a 20-year-old performance of "The Nutcracker on Ice" was on instead of Dick Clark. And really...why do they put things "on ice" anyway?