Monday, December 31, 2007

How It All Began

“If you tango every night for a year, and you blog about it, you will get a book deal,” Carleen said.

We were having coffee in my office. That's how the whole thing started: a couple of editors shooting the breeze.

I already have both, I told her. I started the blog the morning after my first tango lesson. I add to it every day.

No, you can’t read it, I told her. It’s not an actual blog-blog. I mean, it’s not published. I don’t need an audience to complete me.

“If you don’t publish, it’s not a blog. It’s a journal.”

Grrr. She’s right. Here’s why:

The presence of the observer influences the outcome of the experiment. Every scientist knows that. The same is true of writing: the presence of the reader influences the story—both the manner of telling and the content. And not only that: Upon receiving and interpreting the story, the reader completes it.

How would that play out if the story I am telling is my own story, as it happens? Memoir in the moment. How much would awareness of the presence of readers influence my story? Even more intriguing: How does the presence of the self-aware observer (that would be me) influence the story (that would be my life) – as it happens?

Would I do things differently, just to create experiences to report in the blog? Would I pull my punches to avoid too much honesty, too much exposure?


Last year at this very time (6:30 p.m. as I write this), Melinda was plying me with food and liquor.

Let’s do it! she said. She created the template. I cut and pasted my text into the boxes.

“Hit Publish,” she prompted.

Then urged.

Then urged again.

How could I say? I had exactly the same free-falling feel in my stomach that I had the day I moved in with Keith. This is a Threshold.

“Oh for God’s sake,” Melinda, the ABD in religion and pop culture, said, and leaned across and punched Publish.

I squealed.

First thing the next day, I took down the post. Replaced it with something less honest.

How the reader influences the story.

2 comments:

Carleen Brice said...

Hey, don't blame me this on me. :)

One Heart Dancing said...

No blame. All gratitude!

Carleen's book, Orange Mint and Honey, is scheduled for release this spring. Nina Simone plays a role. How cool is that?

It's being promoted as a special book for book clubs, it's Essence Book of the Month, a Target special feature, and on and on.

This is how best-sellers are made. Lest you think it's strictly hype, let me tell you from my experience as an editor, it's the quality of the writing that makes a publisher slate a first novel for expensive, high-stakes promotion.

Carleen will read from and sign the book at the Tattered Cover, 7:30 on the last Tuesday of February. Someone else is going to have to work the door at the Turn. I will be rubbing shoulders with a fabulous writer with a beautiful heart.

You can read an excerpt--and much other fun writing--at her blog: pajamagardener.blogspot.com.

I will not loan you my copy. You must buy your own. Support your local authors! Especially the good ones!

Buy it online from Tattered Cover. The TC, one of the nation's dwindling number of independent bookstores, has a strong history of fighting for freedom of speech.

A few years ago, the TC single-handedly took on local police and federal investigators, insisting on due process before disclosing a book-buyer's purchase. Free speech, right to privacy and all that. The case went all the way to the Supreme Court. Freedom won!

It's a great story. http://www.cobar.org/opinions/opinion.cfm?OpinionID=560

BTW, the book turned out to be ... http://news.bookweb.org/freeexpression/1372.html

Buy Carleens book. At the Tattered Cover. Here's the link:

http://www.tatteredcover.com/NASApp/store/Search?s=results&initiate=yes&ks=q&qsselect=KQ&title=&author=&qstext=orange+mint+and+honey&x=0&y=0


: )