Thursday, September 20, 2007

Robert Fulghum Tango, Part 3: The Upshot

Mr. Fulghum is making his excuses.

My plane leaves at 4 a.m., he says.

Wimp! Apparently he has forgotten the important tango lesson he learned in kindergarten: Take a nap every afternoon.

A lot of people come from Seattle to that Labor Day Festival and they dance all night, Mr. Fulghum adds.

They do, I agree.

He is softening up! Subtly I shift, so the Comme il Faut label on my shoebag swings into his view.

Come on, buddy!

A few weeks ago I was dancing in Seattle and I took a fall, he says.

He's been telling funny stories all night. I smile, ready for the punchline.

He opens his coat, touches his side.

I have two broken ribs he says.
.
.
.

In two weeks he is going to BA for three months. To learn not to fall down, he says.

Safe travels, safe dancing, Mr. Fulghum.

No comments: