Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Personal Highlights from the Denver Labor Day Festival

Cool moves. A favorite lead tries out a new move involving interminable suspense, syncopation, off-axis work and a perfect landing. Very cool!

Martin and Shaun, dancing together. She is the princess, dreaming in his arms. He is the prince, taking care not to wake her. They float in a bubble of enchantment, a magic of their own making.

The best cabaceo ever. A buddy looks at me. I nod. He nods back. I nod again. He stands. The woman sitting between us stands, too. I twinge for her. Just two days ago, I was where she is right now; it is deathly embarrassing. But not for her, not this time. My buddy takes her hand as if that were exactly his intent. As she precedes him to the dance floor, he tosses a half-apologetic smile over his shoulder. Then he turns his attention fully to her. They are dancing, completely connected. Yes! This is all the best that tango can be.

No comments: