Friday, January 11, 2008

I Am a Tango Lesbian

I am a tango lesbian. This comes as a surprise, because I am normally quite straight. But I cannot deny that evidence and logic clearly point to it:

When it comes to tango, I am a lesbian.

Ladies like hugs, TeacherTom says again and again. (I don’t.) This move or that will make a woman’s heart go pitter-patter. (Not mine.) This move is excruciatingly sensual. (Yikes!) He instructs the women to throw our arms around the stranger standing beside us, to wrap our arms about his neck. When I resist, he smiles indulgently.

“Soon you will like it,” he says. (Fat chance.)

One teacher orchestrates a group grope in which, in an incantatory tone, he urges us to feel one another all over, caress the skin, knead the muscle, cup the neck, stroke the fingers and palm, the tender wrist, the soft underside of the arm. He instructs us to take one another into a full embrace, to inflate our lungs, feel the pressure of breasts pressing chest, feel our hearts beating through the thin barrier of clothes and muscle.

Ahem. I hate to break this up, but…

…give me a good, hearty handshake any day.

A handshake is cordial. You look the person in the eye and press the flesh firmly to say “You’re all right.” That’s a nice way to talk to a stranger.

I talk to strangers this way all the time.

For example, in my church, when they “pass the peace” (air kisses, a vague circle of arm around shoulders, the exchanging pleasantries and blessings), I stick out my hand.

“I shake,” I say.

My pew-mates assume some deep personal scar, but they have given up trying to fix me. After you have humiliated a few hug-bullies by straight-arming them in front of their friends, the rest get the message.

Once when I said, “I shake” to the person beside me, he began to twitch.

“I shake too,” he said.

We laughed together, and it felt like a hug.

Just to be clear: I hug whom I please. I throw my arms with abandon around most of the people in my family, the friends I’ve known 20+ years, people for whom I feel real affection.

And that’s not all!

At tango, I hug the ones who come at me with open arms, in keeping with the spirit of things. I hug the ones who expect it, whose feelings would be hurt if I didn’t.

I hug Glenlivet because we are litter-mates and I have no other litter-mates left and after a year of dancing, he feels like an old friend. Also he smells good. He has lovely manners. And though he looks like a teddy bear, he feels solid and real

A Glenlivet hug feels like a handshake: masculine and warm and personable. Cordial. A dance with Glenlivet is like a handshake that goes on for three minutes. It does not make my heart go pitter patter. Not much.

My heart goes pitter-patter for the dance. The music and flow. The lead is part of the fabric of the dance, as are my shoes and the floor.

One tango-philosopher told me that men and women join tango for the emotional and physical closeness.

I joined tango because I like to be alone. For all its vaunted connection, this is one solitary endeavor. The lead is alert, architecting the dance, navigating the floor. I am with him a million miles away, floating on the music, eyes shuttered on the world.

The lead is my conduit. I send my energy through him to get at the dance. My body connects, but my heart dances alone. It feels like Outer Space. Wide open. Quiet. There are stars.

I joined tango because this is some serious dancing.

I joined tango for the emotional and physical closeness with that inner-Outer Space.

I don’t find it sexy at all.

In the human social system, sexual cluelessness is more inscrutable and dangerous than lesbianism. At least people know what a lesbian is. Lesbianism bucks the system to get its own piece of the pie. Obliviousness says, “There’s pie?” One proposes subversion, the other, anarchy.

To domesticate the concept, I hitch it to mainstream language. It is the sense of things that matters, never mind the facts. Testing the line on my writer friends, I say: I am a tango lesbian.

“You can’t say that! The Merry Peri scolds. “What will the real lesbians say?”

“Are you?” Melinda asks, point-blank.

That raises an interesting question.

“If you take sex out of the equation, what is the quintessence of lesbianism?” I ask Emily, an out-and-out activist.

“It’s a political construct,” she says.

Now I’m confused.

Let’s just go with the line: I am a tango lesbian.

Here is another line: Tango is life.

If A then B?

There is only one way to find out:

Late, after a long night of dancing, lounging in the dark with a glass of wine, looking through the window at trees and the moon, I check in with my Self.

I like men quite well. I like lots of things about men in general, and I like several individual specimens.

Two in particular have stirred my blood steadily and long. Neither one is suitable. By force of habit I let all that flow by. Very Zen. Very practical. Don’t look in windows at what you can’t buy.

Still. They are the avatars of my desire.

When tango has made me feel an aversion for men, repugnance for close quarters, I use these avatars to check in with myself.

I reach out intuitively to one or the other. I let my mind dwell.

A small floodgate of longing swings open.

Ah.

I let the longing flow by.

This one is not suitable and never will be.

And yet

Ah.

Damn the fates.

Still.

In this moment, on the fulcrum of longing and misery brought on by a member of the opposite sex, I confirm my sexual identity.

11 comments:

tangobaby said...

Sexual cluelessness is endemic today. That's why I love tango so much.

Be glad for the avatars. Even though.

Colette would have liked you very much, I think!

One Heart Dancing said...

Thank you so much for dropping a line so quickly!

I have been afraid to publish this post. I wrote the first draft several months ago. I have been tinkering with it on and off ever since, postponing the day I would have to say "It's ready to publish."

My first year of tango pelted me with fears I never anticipated; it demanded more bravery than I knew I possessed. All those nights of staring fears down, one second, one step, one dance at a time...

And now look: What is this?

Tango has given it all back.

Critics like to say the primary concerns of poetry are image and line. No. The primary concern of poetry is fearlessness.

Tango makes me a more fierce and fearless writer.

Let the beauty we love be the thing that we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. --Rumi

Today, I kneel and kiss the ground for tango.

And for you, Tangobaby, one Fearless Writer Warrior Princess, shoring up another.

One Heart Dancing said...

Ooops, forgot to say...

I think I would have liked Colette, too!

24tango said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

I have however a serious problem with your use of the term Lesbian+ISM, it is the "ISM" bit that causes me concerns.

I always understood that being a Lesbian or Gay is a natural stance of sexual orientation that a person may feel that they belong to. This belonging happens very "naturally".

Therefore being Gay or Lesbian is not anything that happens or takes shape by any account for or matter of choice or thought processes. It is not an "Ideology" that draws itself from the consequences of a methodology of a belief system.

In another word, the use of "ISM" - even if it is used mistakenly by the gay & lesbian communities, is very misleading since it denies the fact that the Gays & Lesbians are "what they are" by the very physical & emotional "Nature of whom they are". An "ISM" implies a conscious mind-set taken from all "available" choices.

Sexual orientations of being Hetro, Homo, or Bi are not due to philosophical "available" outlooks, and one can not change to or away from anyone of them into another,

Many find themselves naturally belonging to one such category.

Please forgive me on this since this may be seen as completely off your target topic, I am not really sure if any branch of the "Feminism" as an ideology of the last 80 odd years can be used as an alternative to "Lesbian+ism" for a term in how I understood you to mean it.

Finally: Please choose not to publish this on your comments page if you find it totally off-tangent and irrelevant to your posting. I don't mind that at all.

MilongaCat.

Amanda Morris Johnson (aka Amanda Morris Conti) said...

Maybe Anais Nin, too! Checkout Kosmicegg on blogger...

It was wonderful to see you last night, and I think I crossed the line and hugged and expected a hug back! You were so gorgeous, I didn't even think to resist. But, you make my tango experience so much richer and I really do like you!

Amanda

24tango said...

On a much lighter note than earlier, I like you to know that I have blog-tagged you, There is so much of it going around that it seems like everyone gets zapped a few times.

If you care to join or are curious to find out please visit my blog and posting Tag-ing :)

MilongaCat.

tangobaby said...

I was feeling a little moody and out of sorts this morning, and I thought of what you wrote and that perhaps I should be Fearless, like you are. And it worked!

Thank you for the inspiration on a Monday morning.

I'll read my Colette on the train tonight going home and I'll think of you, too. ;-)

Elizabeth Brinton said...

I like what you say about getting into tango because you like to be alone. I feels sometimes like the milonga is a room full of cats. They like to be in the same room, sometimes, but they are still alone. And to learn tango is surely a very solitary journey. Even if you have a regular partner, lover, spouse. They are in one place, and you are in another, alone. When it verges on that space you describe: "The lead is my conduit. I send my energy through him to get at the dance. My body connects, but my heart dances alone. It feels like Outer Space. Wide open. Quiet. There are stars." I would have to say that sometimes my heart does not dance alone, and that is a truly amazing space. It is sexy, to me, but on a universal plane...? or something..Oddly, this usually happens with someone who does not socialize with me otherwise, and maybe cannot speak my language, and also, alas, someone with whom the boundary will not be crossed.
For me, this partner is always a man, and I don't know if this space could be acheived with a woman, probably not for me. The conduit you speak of, is real, and requires that polar opposite. I think.

Glenlivet said...

i would never think to disagree...
but ponder if you would...
you can not possibly be a tango lesbian...
for tango extends far beyond sexuality...
or even sensuality...
ponder for yourself, my litter mate...
that tango is, in fact, a matriachial environment...
that despite surface appearances...
when done well...
is performed for the purpose of feminine escape from routine reality...
for her pleasure...
how else can you explain...
a space where a man's value...
is based almost solely on his ability to care for a woman...
to keep her safe...
to tell her a story...
to make her smile...
ten minutes at a time...
and those poor males...
who do not understand...
who dance for their own pleasure...
become tango eunuchs...
left only with self-fulfillment...
without the contentment...
of fulfilling another...
of allowing her to escape...
there can be no lesbian role...
in a non-sexual environment...
where all the important roles are filled by women...
and the rest live to serve...

One Heart Dancing said...

Does anyone NOT want to hug this man?

You are surely the pick of the litter.

BTW, GL: Last Tuesday night at the Turn, when I walked up and hugged you for no reason at all? This is the reason, a preview to reading this post.

tangobaby said...

Oh MY!

Glenlivet, I don't know who you are but you obviously are one in a million.

If you ever go on tour with your amazingly generous and enlightened philosophy, please do let me know. I will roll out the red carpet for you in San Francisco!

You just made my day, and you wiped away the memory of a very disappointing milonga last night. There is still hope.