Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Body Connect

Tango is all about connection, they say, and the first thing to connect with is your body.

I read Woman: An Intimate Geography several years ago. Written by a New York Times science writer, the book was more than 400 pages. For a week I couldn’t put it down.

“Get a load of that!” I’d say to myself. “Wow! Can you imagine? That’s really something,” I’d say. The creatures described were wondrous beasts, their physiology beyond imagining.

I wasn’t trying to connect with my body but others' brains. A yen for intellectual camaraderie had led me to think that reading the same book would give a group of strangers something in common.

I found no point of connection with the women in the group, nor with the beings described in the book.

1 comment:

tangobaby said...

That book sounds fantastic and I will have to find a copy. I don't think you're wrong to try to find camaradie with other booklovers. (Although I have to admit that my Tao of Tango Book Club didn't ever really take off, either.)

But when I read this book, you and I can have a discussion of it, if you want.

;-)