Friday, July 6, 2007

Walking the Tango Labyrinth, Part 2: What I Noticed

What did you notice? David asks.

We have just walked around the studio naturally, as if with a friend. I have walked with a plethora of friends, all in my head.

I noticed this:

Michigan has a long, fast stride. It is a struggle to keep up with him in real life. In these heels I can’t do it. Intent on what lies ahead, he is soon out of sight. The worm moves at a comfortable pace.

I love Michigan, but apparently I find it easier to connect with a worm.

Hmmm.

Let’s not lose focus.

MKK is an unsuitable partner, made unsuitable by circumstance. Friends from work are unsuitable as well. Where roles and the terms of engagement are wholly artificial—but are nevertheless the ruling constructs of a pseudo-social environment--a change in context is insufficient to produce the conditions conducive to dancing.

i.e., you can’t connect with a partner who is not really there

i.e., it takes two to tango.

With Mary Alice, we are two. I am attentive, wholly engaged.

With Barbara, we were one.

That's what I noticed.

So, David wants to know, What did you learn?

No comments: