Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fandango de Tango: Looking Back 1

It’s been a week since the start of Fandango de Tango. What have I learned?

Elegant lady and hard-working Joe make a lovely pair. Witness my shoes: Comme il Faut held together with duct tape.

It’s true! Four days before I boarded the plane for Austin, I caught my heel and tore the leather cross strap on my only pair of tango shoes. They have been on their last legs for nearly a year; the straps have already been replaced twice in the past two months.

I have been shopping in three states, to no avail. Shoes for big, deformed feet are hard to come by.

For six weeks, my goal was to nurse the sandals through Fandango de Tango, and hope to buy new shoes there. Keith’s finesse with duct tape made the repair invisible; through the whole festival, no one was the wiser.

And, the grand prize: The shoe vendor at Fandango de Tango who will take a photo of my poor old sandals and have an identical pair made. I covet the Comme il Faut name, but at this point any wearable shoe will be just fine.

No comments: