Thursday, February 7, 2008

Why I Love My Job: Rat Cuisine

Did I mention I love my job? I spend all my time coming up with ideas. My favorite idea so far is a news column called "Interesting and Unusual."

If I had my way, every newspaper in the world would forget about reporting on murder and finance and presidential elections and stick to the interesting stuff. Like this:

Save the Strychnine, Savor a Rat

Writing is a lot like a science experiment. You start with what you know. Think about ramifications, implications, causes, weird connections. Make a hypothesis. Investigate. Report.

That's what I love about this article. Here's a writer who started with a story that's been in the news for 2 years and asked the next logical question: If a country's major food supply gives way, what happens? The story is funny and gruesome and humane.

When you manage creative types, it is very important to stay out of their way. So normally I avoid the temptation to muck around in a writer's work.

In this case I made an exception. I contributed the link at the end of the story.

No comments: