Monday, February 12, 2007

Get Piggy with It!

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Hope floats.

I have not eaten in nearly two days. Stomach won't let me, the usual dance. Today, I try again. For breakfast, a latte with sugar on top. (Use the rough brown sugar. Sprinkle it on top of the foam. Slurp, and you’ll get those rough grains with your coffee. Something to chew!)

Stomach approves. Happy day!

Four p.m. No work today; giving the stomach a break. With friends we drop by the Handlebar for a late lunch. I show my stomach the menu; we confer. The stomach is feeling like an All-American: cheeseburger, fries and a beer. “Really?” I say, double-checking. “Hurry up!” it commands.

The waitress sets down the food. As the stomach considers, I wait.

Green light! I send down

big bison burger—1/2 pound!
hot pepper cheese
the whole bun
the lettuce leaf
the slice of tomato
the pickle
the fries, every last one
a teenager’s supply of ketchup and mustard
Keith’s mashed potatoes and gravy
my glass of beer and a little of Keith’s

“Admit it, old pal, that’s loads of fun,” I say to my gut.

Back home, I lie down on the couch. Stomach circles ‘round once, twice, curls up with a purr. Time for a nap. Thanksgiving!

No comments: