Monday, October 1, 2007

Nice and timely, too

Hey, wait a minute...

Revisions on my third book are due today.

That means the editor and a handful of reviewers have read the book and suggested improvements. Of course, their suggestions always target the places I have tried to skate, hoping no one would notice.

Revisions are BORING. All the creative work is done; this is mop-up stuff.

Revisions were due July 1. I have an extension until today. For editors, deadlines are always 5 p.m. For writers, they are always 11:59:59 p.m. Today I am a writer. A seriously unmotivated one.

At the stroke of 5 p.m., I get an email from my editor, congratulating me on my previous book's award. (see below)

Wow! These revisions are a cakewalk! Why have I been dragging my feet? I'll be done in a jiffy. And as soon as I'm done, I'll propose the next book in the series!

Hey, wait a minute ... Could there be something to my editor's timing?

For a minute, I am my editor self again, remembering: The middle name of every good editor is Machiavelli.

No comments: