Friday, June 15, 2007

I Am Taking a Tango Hiatus ... I Think

I might be quitting tango. At the very least, I am taking a hiatus.

I want my real head back. The combination of tango and blogging is making it weird.

A few weeks to get it out of my system. That’s what I need! Then:

Darlene sends video of the first sunset milonga in Cheesman Park.

I resist.

Nina announces a new follower’s class. Her classes are small, and she requires the women to show up for two hours: the first hour for followers only, the second with leads. The most useful and fun group classes I’ve taken.

I delete the email.

Patricia announces Jesse, an elegant teacher I have not worked with, will be guiding her house practica this month. Her practicas are small and informal and warm.

I steel my heart.

I am taking a hiatus!

My discipline is made easier by my work schedule: Travel. Day-and-night meetings with lots of required reading. Tight deadlines, new and exciting projects that drain my brain.

After only two weeks, it’s working: Already, tango seems a little weird. It’s just a dance, after all. And an odd one at that. Hardly worth an obsession. It’s a wide world out there. Lots of things to toy around with: Volunteer work, books, movies, family, pets, gardening, hiking, camping, swimming, sunbathing, … TV.

I settle in for a night of reading. Guy Kawasaki, Seth Grodin, Kim Dority. After six hours, my brain is toast.

There’s a big, silent TV at one end of the room. What the heck.

In an empty bar, a couple dances. No, they are not dancing. They are making art. He is understated, she is graceful.

I am transfixed. A little star-struck. Inspired.

Of course, it is tango.

Awwwright already! Uncle!

In the 20 minutes before my last marathon meeting, I register for Nina’s class, jot down the time of Darlene's milonga and Patricia's practica, write this post.

I’m in.

No comments: